After about 18 months of additional delay (over initial estimate), ADSL is, at last, available for my mom house, in Lozère. And I was able to guide her to install her new DSL box (Freebox, which is running Linux internaly) using my GSM tonight. It tooks about 1/2h to get DSL Box up and running with phone over IP, mostly to tell her where to plug each type of cable, check twice the phone cable (both RJ11 and French plugs are mixed) and an additional 1/4h to get her to configure IP connectivity on her Mandriva box :
- first you plug the usb cable from Freebox to PC (I didn't install a ethernet card on her PC, it will be done later)
- then, you log in as usual, you go to "System / Administration and Configure your Computer"
- you type your administrator password
- you choose Internet, then "Configure a new Internet connexion", you choose Ethernet (since it is usbnet) and you click on the Next button until you are done.
- You insert requested CD to get dhcp client installed
- et voilà